Frank Charles Terrett

Service:                Army

Rank:                    Private

Service No:           28125

Unit:                     1st Bn. Somerset Light Infantry

 Frank was born in St. George Bristol in 1898; he was the son of Frederick & Louisa Terrett.  A 2 year old schoolboy in 1901 he was living with his parents & 4 siblings at 10 Florence Terrace, Devon Road, Bristol; his father worked as a coach body maker.  By 1911 the family were living at 34 Clouds Hill Avenue, St. George Bristol.

The 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry formed part of 11th Brigade, 4th Division in Colchester. On 22 August 1914 landed at Le Havre. This Division, initially planned to be part of the original British Expeditionary Force, was at the last minute held back in England to counter any German landing. A decision was soon taken to despatch it to France and it arrived just in time to play a valuable part at Le Cateau. The 4th Division then remained on the Western Front throughout the war. It took part in most of the major actions, including:

1914 The Battle of Le Cateau (The Division fought in this action without its Mounted Troops, Heavy Battery, Divisional Ammunition Column, Field Companies RE, Signals Company RE, Field Ambulances RAMC and Divisional Train, which were all still en route from England), The Battle of the Marne, The Battle of the Aisne, The Battle of Messines ;1915  The Second Battle of Ypres; 1916  The Battle of Albert,  The Battle of Le Transloy ; 1917 The First Battle of the Scarpe, The Third Battle of the Scarpe,  The Battle of Polygon Wood, The Battle of Broodseinde, The Battle of Poelcapelle and The First Battle of Passchendaele.

The Battle of Broodseinde was fought on 4 October 1917 near Ypres in Flanders, at the east end of the Gheluvelt plateau, by the British Second and Fifth armies and the German Fourth Army. The battle was the most successful Allied attack of the Battle of Passchendaele. Using "bite-and-hold" tactics, with objectives limited to what could be held against German counter-attacks, the British devastated the German defence, which prompted a crisis among the German commanders and caused a severe loss of morale in the German Fourth Army. Preparations were made by the Germans for local withdrawals and planning began for a greater withdrawal, which would entail the loss to the Germans of the Belgian coast, one of the strategic aims of the British offensive. After the period of unsettled but drier weather in September, heavy rain began again on 4 October and affected the remainder of the campaign, working more to the advantage of the German defenders, who were being pushed back on to far less damaged ground. The British had to move their artillery forward into the area devastated by shellfire and soaked by the return of heavy rain, restricting the routes on which guns and ammunition could be moved, which presented German artillery with easier targets. In the next British attack on 9 October after several days of rain, the German defence achieved a costly defensive success, holding the approaches to Passchendaele village, which was the most tactically vital ground.

Private Frank Terrett was killed in action on 4th October 1917, therefore most likely in the aforementioned battle; he has no known grave and is remembered with honour on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Panel 41 to 42 and 163A

 Image by D R Crew.

Frank was awarded The British War Medal & The Victory Medal.



Commonwealth War Graves Commission

1901 & 1911 UK household census


The Long, Long Trail